Sunday, October 3, 2010

Carrie's Songs

I don't listen much to the radio anymore; I buy very little music in general. It just all seems to sound, to some degree, the same. The same electronic and digital finiteness that doesn't allow for the human voice's true sounds to come through...this takes the emotional tug from what we hear. Oh sure, the words are there, but truly hearing a voice in all its purity has a quality to it that is more than good or bad. It allows us to go to a higher level of aesthetic appreciation.

Last night all things worked out and we got to go and hear Carrie sing and play that wonderful acoustical guitar. What a treat. No wires, no electronic voice-altering tricks--just Carrie's pure voice and pure lyrics.

Another reason I tend not to listen to music much anymore is because the lyrics just seem somewhat recycled and predictable. If I listen to ten songs in a row, at least half of them are repetitious at best. Where's the story that my mind is looking for to enjoy the song as a whole?

Carrie's lyrics make sense...they tell a story. They conjure an image. They take you to a place where you can feel yourself being transformed by the lyric and the accompaniment.

A few years ago, Carrie wrote a song about the products of my beloved photography hobby. I hadn't heard the song for quite sometime, but last night as she sang it, I could, in my mind's eye, see a slideshow of various photos that floated along with her words and those lovely sounds from emanated from the guitar.

As the evening ended, Carrie shared a song with the audience that caused a beautiful and harmonious sing-along. A few years back, she gave me the chance of a lifetime by asking me to sing harmony to her lovely voice for her group's first cd; few things in my life have been, at the same time, more intimidating and blissful. Last night as the lyrics and harmony came back to me, I happily joined in the participation that came from a group in an easy and joyful communion with one another.

If you get a chance, go and spend an evening with Carrie D'Esposito and The White Pine League--they'll give you an evening of real and true music that our souls truly love.

Thanks,Carrie--for sharing your words, your music, and your voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment