Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A Day at a Time

Anybody else out there guilty of getting up in the morning only to have the entire day planned out, plan b'd, and worried over sufficiently?


I decided today to try something a little different.


Every time I felt concern about what needed to happen during the day or days to come or days in the past, I reminded myself of God's words to us in Matthew 6:34: "Then have no care for tomorrow: tomorrow will take care of itself. Take the trouble of the day as it comes."


So, I went about my business. I went and taught a class at the community college and it went fine. I came home, had a bit of lunch, called my mom and chatted a bit--all was well. I then cut, fixed, and had a nice visit with a nice client in my little beauty shop--very enjoyable. I got my husband ready for work, we had a nice visit before we wished each other a good evening--always a joy to spend time with the Mister. I went to the garden, picked some lovely greens, fixed a nice salad for supper--a delight. The remainder of the evening I wrote--a productive time.


I figured something out: I didn't need to worry about tomorrow--frankly, I have no idea what it will bring since I'm not in charge, thank the good Lord. I do know I'm in good hands no matter what. 


I also figured out something else: There was no need to fume or worry today. All was well with the world. Did I make a million dollars? No. Do I need a million dollars? No. God provides. Did I set the world on fire? I don't believe I did. Did I do a tiny bit of good? I think so--I wrote cards to shut-ins on behalf of our church family. A small gesture, but it feels good doing God's bidding.


So, when tomorrow comes, or the next time you feel you need to be in charge enough that you have to worry about the future--give it a rest. Give yourself a rest. "Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:28).


Have a fine day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment