Sunday, August 29, 2010

Something About a Hammock

There's just something about a hammock. They look rather odd, come in all shapes, colors, and sizes, and frankly, can be a bit menacing to the person attempting to climb into it. Nevertheless, once there--the magic happens. No matter how hard you try to read that book, newspaper, or magazine, the hammock has special powers that it will cast over you. Before you know it you're waking up to find that, in the midst of that interesting reading, you've fallen sound asleep. It does it to me every time.

I can remember as a kid that on one Father's Day we bought my dad a hammock. It was one of those canvas pieces with a bit of fringe (never did figure out the utility of the fringe) and some loops that fit onto a metal frame. It didn't matter that it wasn't the prettiest or most handsome of hammocks. It worked. I have a picture of him snoozing away contentedly under a tree on a summer day. The magic of the hammock.

I normally don't get too excited about gifts for most holidays and special days, but one particular Mother's Day several years ago I decided I desperately needed a hammock. A stressful job in a former life lead me to believe that time in a hammock might make life a bit more pleasant. So, the creative duo of husband and son shopped and found a true hammock...huge and magenta and hand knitted by some nice ladies from some far-away island. It came with two posts for holding it--two coconut tree seeds. Needless to say my dynamic duo knew this would never work, so they dismantled the no longer used huge wooden swingset from the back yard, flipped it upside down, added wheels and a handle and I had a hammock frame. (See why I love these guys?)

Over the years I have spent many a wonderful time in the hammock. My now deceased Siamese cat who liked very few things loved lying on my stomach and snoozing away.

And today, as usual, I attempted to read articles of great interest. The process was slowed dramatically when snoozing won out, but the restorative feeling from a good nap in a hammock was well worth the price.

1 comment:

  1. ahhhh, I just bought a hammock from a friend and can't WAIT to start using it!

    ReplyDelete