Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Tummy Rub

Greetings from Highbanks...

I started the day with the first cup of coffee out on the deck, a favorite habit of mine. The hummingbirds were up to their usual antics--I think we're up to 8 now. As I watched their performance, one of our middle-sized kittens can running toward me only to remember at the last minute that he didn't do that. He stopped abruptly; his eyes grew wide and he started to back away. Then he did something he'd not done before--he rolled over on his back and looked at me pleadingly to give him a tummy rub. Of course, this didn't happen; he wouldn't allow himself the pleasure. Maybe someday.
As I sat there enjoying the morning air, the coffee, the birds, and the kitten's antics, it occurred to me that we all, for various reasons, disallow ourselves from enjoying life to the fullest. We pause, for whatever reason, from saying hello to an acquaintance, checking in on a friend or relative, or just taking the time to truly enjoy a moment in life. I'm going to start being more mindful of those opportunities...I invite you to do the same. Nobody wants to miss a good proverbial tummy rub!
Have a glorious day.

"Life itself is the proper binge"--Julia Child

No comments:

Post a Comment