Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Adding a Little Spice to Life

As I was figuring out what to fix Tom for his solo supper tonight, I did what I normally do and checked two items--the meat choices in the freezer and the spice rack. As you can imagine, I'm one of those cooks that has hardly to date met a spice I didn't like in some way, shape, or form. On one of the last trips to the Amish Gourmet grocery, I came across a ginger/sesame spice--that was the one for the chicken dish I was going to prepare.
I guess my spice cabinet is my collection in life. Generally, I'm not much on collecting much of anything; I'm a bit too eclectic for that and can see that it could lead to a collecting nightmare. However, with the spices, it's always an adventure to open the double doors and see three shelves full of various combinations with endless possibilities. There are the tried and true; there are also the exotic that are seldom used. Some are more than likely a bit stale, while others seem to retain their aroma and taste forever.
As I prepared the chicken with the spices, I started thinking about how people are much like the spice cabinet. Some prefer to play it safe and have a small amount of spice in life--certainly nothing wrong with that! Others have that proverbial cabinet brimming and bursting at the seams, but never really use any of that spice--they only have it because they feel for some reason they should. Yet others might have had reason to have that large variety of spice only to now see a cabinet full of tired flavors and vanishing aromas.
No matter where you find yourself in you life's spice cabinet, be sure to take a chance once in awhile and sample a new flavor...that's truly the "spice of life".
Have a fine day.

1 comment:

  1. ahhh, i LOVE this post. perhaps because my spice cabinet looks very similar...and so i "get it"
    :)

    ReplyDelete