Tuesday, September 14, 2010

You Gotta Love a Cat

I'm guessing the title of this post brings a few "I don't think so's" from the audience. But really, even without the emotional attachment many of us have for the feline, you have to admit there's just something about a cat that can make you laugh or marvel at its unique nature.

At times, between our house and my in-law's house, it's pretty much "cat central". Good breeding stock--farms must do that to cats--they feel the need to multiply and multiply. Our current "herd" consists of Onyx, a solid black female and her two sons Re-Bob (named in honor of the beloved and no longer with us Bob) and Mr. Biggins (named Mr. because we were hoping beyond hope we had a Tom cat...tooooo many females).  Our two " q-tip" cats (aptly named for their striped coats except for a while tip on their tails) and the darker q-tip's three kittens (one who recently re-located across the road to seek new company). The remaining two kittens, one black and yet to be named (it tends to be called a different name each time I see it, kind of like a mood kitty) and then Thor--the puniest little cat I think I've seen in years. This little guy is basically made up of fur and a skeletal system. He has chronic runny eyes and a wheeze that makes me think he'll be carrying his inhaler soon. I named him Thor in the hopes that this would give him inclination to grow--at least to tea cup size. No luck yet, although he does tear into food like a twenty pounder. Hope springs eternal.

We've had a lot of enjoyment from this motley crew. We've watched them grow up, playing and fighting and snoozing on the deck. There have been lots of sessions of head scratchings and a few belly rubs along the way. There's also been praise when one comes up from the field with a mouth full of dead mouse and grass in its mouth. They are, after all, farm cats and this is what makes them tick. And, they've done a good job of it; in the 20+ years we've lived here, we've yet to have a mouse in the house. (I'm not superstitious by nature, but I say that former statement with hesitation--hopefully I've not jinxed anything in the mouse department with this bold declaration.)

So, even if you're not a fan of cats, just give them a few minutes of your time someday, even from a distance. Their "cat-like ways"  are indeed amazing.

1 comment:

  1. :-)

    I always love visiting the kittens!

    My cat cracks.me.up on a regular basis. Quite the personality!

    ReplyDelete