Sunday, September 5, 2010

Being Still on Sunday

I was raised being told if your ox is in the ditch on the Sabbath, you can pull it out; just don't be the one kicking it in. I'm sure many of you grew up with this saying as well. For those that haven't and can't quite get the ox in the ditch analogy, it means that we are to keep the Sabbath holy and rest in accordance with God's commandment.
You'd think this would be a breeze, right? To be given a day off with the command to have the day off to rest, regroup, and revitalize through meditation. And, I will admit, some Sundays I do just those things...especially the resting part courtesy of the hammock. However, there are many Sundays that seem to almost be little vignettes of torture. I see things that need to be done; weeds to be pulled, windows to be washed, floors to be mopped. Sometimes I relent and just start working, but this past month I've been making a true attempt to keep the Sabbath just that--a sabbatical from all the world's needs.
I do believe I am getting better at this; today I did some reading, some thinking, and some napping. And I must admit after all that, I did feel more revitalized. I also made a couple of minor slips and moved a wind chime over to the deck and pulled a couple of weeds that seemed almost to be taunting me. Oh well...more faithful living is all about the tiny steps, right?
As the next week ends, I'm going to concentrate on the Sabbath once again; I figure with practice, someday I'll get it right.

Have a fine day.

No comments:

Post a Comment